Thursday, June 14, 2012

Vintage gardening tools - anyone?

I'm just going to pretend I didn't disappear for two weeks. 


I'm not sure if I've mentioned this to enough people - but my garden looks amazing. No big deal really, just nurturing a feast in the concrete abyss behind my apartment building. 

When I was at Brimfield, I saw the most lovely little wrought iron table and chairs and thought, "I should buy that and set it next to my garden, then I could talk to the plants more." That got me thinking past just a table and chairs. I wonder what else is out there that was once loved by a gardener, which could be loved again. It turns out - there is a lot. 


We can start with the tools. If you're not a gadgety person who's purchased the latest greatest self spading, non stick, teflon garden helpers then these two gents haven't changed much in the last 200 years. A spade is a spade, isn't that what they say? 



Once you've got the tools to make it happen, you have to have a place to PUT your plants. So put them in this toolbox. It is metal, it won't rot, and it is kind of adorable. It has a partition for separating tools that runs right down the middle of the interior compartment - could be perfect for keeping wandering mint roots in place. Just make sure to poke some holes in the bottom first. 



Can you give me $150 plus shipping? I'd really appreciate it. 



Tradition is tradition, so why don't we keep it alive with this 1920's era cement planter. 



Now that the hard work is done, take a seat, in one of these. 



Then make yourself a garden-mint mojito and set it down on this. 


Now that I've gone through this exercise my garden looks sad. Someone get me some vintage chairs! Stat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment