Wednesday, March 13, 2013

It's Tricky: Vintage Hip Hop Gear

I've recently started to feel like I haven't really been grabbing New York by the horns and so I've made a conscious effort to partake in things that I can only do in this great city.

A friend of mine at work asked me a few weeks ago if I would be interested in taking a hip hop class with her. Well, it just so happens that I was once on a hip hop dance squad captained by Twitch now of So You Think You Can Dance fame.

The classes we've been taking are public classes offered by the incredibly well respected Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. The instructors are stellar, the routines are great but sadly my hip hop wardrobe was long ago discarded. After the dance majors at my college nudged me off the team for not  having the right major (Twitch was the only one who didn't care) I ceremoniously rid my closet of my neon pants and nike sneakers.

It looks like the time has come to replace them.


As our instructor on Monday night informed us, one of the tenants of dancing hip hop is doing it with attitude. Whatever you think your attitude is will work, but the worst thing you can do is copy someone else's. My attitude is most definitely that of the latter part of Salt N' Pepa's career. Not the men's sweatpants of their youth, but the fitted street style of their later performing years. 

So obviously this t-shirt is right up my alley. A little pricey but probably worth it. 


It seems counterintuitive when you're working up a sweat but a jacket is a must. This one is a classic. 


I prefer the legging look to the more obvious oversized sweats. These are kind of perfect, but most likely a little small for my backside. 

 

And what hip hop outfit is complete without a pair of kicks. These, my friends are what you might call "fly". 

No comments:

Post a Comment