Friday, November 25, 2011

you don't know annie...

But I do. I've watched the movie Annie Hall just about a million times. I was Annie for Halloween one year -- I did such a good job that people still remember that getup. I quote that movie daily. Annie was one of the women in film that really, truly affected me. Thus, I was quite excited when a friend passed along this story from James Worsdale on Jezebel about how misunderstood Miss Annie is. Worsdale does an incredible job of debunking the myth that Annie is the original Manic Pixie Dream Girl

"The Manic Pixie Dream Girl is a trope we are quick to criticize because of its reductive placement of the role of women and interpretation of their actions and identities. It's a categorization not fondly regarded by the actresses playing these characters for similar reasons, though it is a trope that is continuously defaulted to when we have a lonely, loathsome male protagonist, in the midst of his male rite of passage: the existential crisis. It is also a trope that racially limits our interpretations of what constitutes a woman and who qualifies to play major female characters. Annie Hall is no such character."

Amen to that. Read it and even if you haven't seen this incredible film, you'll want to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment