Tuesday, November 29, 2011

au revoir monsieur frank...

When I first heard that Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts would not seek another term I was so sad. I am from Massachusetts and have grown up with Representative Frank in the evening news, on the front page of the paper and talked about fondly in many a dinner table conversation. He is a warrior. I believe that without him just about half of the gumption in the House of Representatives disappears and not much can be said for the stick-to-it-ness of the remaining half. 

Then, I heard his parting words and I realized that perhaps, instead of losing one of our only honest congress-people, we are gaining an untethered voice of reason. Here's to hoping Mr. Frank keeps his face in the public eye and his wit and intelligence as sharp as ever. 

In the press conference in Newton, Massachusetts where he announced his retirement he noted he was excited about a number of things. One stood out in my mind. 

"I don't even have to pretend to try to be nice to people I don't like," after which a reporter retorted, "Have you ever?"

To which Barney, so perfectly replied, "Some of you may not think I've been good at it, But I've been trying." 

Amen to that. I'm excited to see what the future holds for this man that I so admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment